Skip to the content
Nationwide® Pet Insurance FAQ
- Do I need to re-enroll for this benefit every year?
- No. Once enrolled, the policy will renew automatically each year.
- How can I make changes to my policy?
- You can make changes to your policy during your policy renewal period. All changes are subject to underwriting approval.
- When is the policy renewal period?
- The renewal period starts 60 days before the policy’s current 12-month term expires. The policy’s effective date and expiration date can be found on the Declarations Page, which is included with the policy packet that is mailed to you at each new term.
- What happens to my pet insurance policy if I am no longer with the company?
- If you pay policy premiums via direct bill, no action is required and the policy will automatically remain active. However, the premium may change at policy renewal, as group preferred pricing may no longer apply. If you pay policy premiums via payroll deductions, you will be notified and asked to update billing information in order to keep the policy active.
- Will pre-existing conditions be covered?
- Unfortunately, no. Like all pet insurers, we don’t cover pre-existing conditions on any of our plans.
- Can I still use my vet?
- Absolutely. You’re free to visit any licensed veterinarian, anywhere in the world—even specialists and emergency providers.
- If I have a pet other than a dog or cat, can I enroll?
- Yes! If you want coverage for your bird, rabbit, reptile or other exotic pet, you’ll find it only with Nationwide. To enroll in the Avian & Exotic Pet Plan, please call 888-899-4874.
- What is vethelpline® and how does it work?
- Veterinary professionals are available 24/7 through vethelpline, a service provided exclusively for Nationwide pet insurance members. You can get live help with any pet health concern, including identifying urgent care needs. Please note, a vethelpline consultation is not a substitute for a visit to your primary veterinarian.
- How do I file a claim?
- It’s easy. Simply pay your vet bill and then send us a claim for reimbursement via mail, email or the free VitusVet mobile app.
Mail: Nationwide Claims Dept., P.O. Box 2344, Brea, CA 92822-2344
Mobile app: VitusVet available on the App Store and Google Play
Track claim status on your Nationwide Pet Account Access page at my.petinsurance.com. Please allow 48 hours from the time you submit your claim for it to appear online.
- More questions?
- To speak with a pet insurance representative, call 877-738-7874 and mention that you are a member of MyFamilyPCP to receive your preferred pricing.